Functions and Contact Information of the Estonian National Security Authority
The receipt and protection of classified information of foreign states in the Republic of Estonia is the function of the Estonian National Security Authority (NSA). The aforementioned institution was established in 1995 in order to assure the protection of classified information of a foreign state, made available to Estonia. This function was initially fulfilled by the Co-ordination Director’s Office of the State Chancellery. Regulation no. 231 of the Government of the Republic was adopted on 04-07-2001, according to which respective authority was transferred to the Ministry of Defence, the Security Department. In April 2009 the department´s name changed and is now National Security Authority Department.
The National Security Authority is required to discharge the following functions:
- to receive classified information of foreign states from the originator thereof, to process and to organize access to such information, to maintain records; also, to deliver classified information to other countries;
- to keep basic records of classified information of foreign states and to organize and control the work of sub-registers;
- to supervise the security measures applied for the protection of classified information of foreign states and access of their employees to such information, which includes supervision at the representations of Estonia and in the units of the Defence Forces which are outside the territory of the state;
- to organise training in order to ensure the protection of classified information of a foreign state;
- to inform the originator of the information of the circumstances of the disclosure, in the event of an unlawful disclosure of classified information of a foreign state, under the conditions prescribed by the international agreement;
- to issue Personnel Security Clearance Certificates for access to foreign classified information and to inform the individuals who wish to apply for access of safety requirements governing the processing of classified information of foreign states;
- to participate in the work of the NATO and European Union structures, observing the restriction imposed on the authority thereof;
- to perform other duties imposed thereon by law, legislation issued on the basis thereof, or international agreements.
National Security Authority Department
Ministry of Defence of the Republic of Estonia
Tel: +372 7170 183, +372 7170 117
Fax: +372 7170 213